Monday, January 3, 2022

MY JOURNEY INTO COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT AND ACTIVISM

THE BEGINNING OF MAKING A DIFFERENCE

I began my Degree program at the prestigious Modibbo Adama University Yola which was formerly Federal University of Technology Yola and was changed to Modibbo Adama University of technology in 2014.

During my studies in tertiary institution, I volunteered for an organization that holds government accountable of funds allocated for projects in communities. I also volunteered in activating the Sustainable Development Goals in schools and communities (SDGs).




        Volunteered for different organizations


This gave me an experience and also made me had passion for community development.
In my final year of study, I passed through an express road and saw this heap of waste in the capital city where I schooled. It made me very uncomfortable as the smell alone was something else and had encroached the road of vehicular movement. I had thoughts of the residents in this community without a voice, their plight and the consequences.



                           Heap of waste

I took a picture of the dump site and decided to put it up on social media (Twitter) which is a strong tool in reaching out to the government and to the draw the attention of the public to the menace. It was promoted and got a larger audience which caught the attention of many environmentalist across the States.

                                            














                                                    Tweet of the waste dumpsite
                                        
It was an embarrassment to the government of the day and the people of the State. After days and weeks had passed by an action was taken and it was immediately cleared. Measures was taken to prohibit improper waste disposal.




                      Waste been cleared


This was a big win for me and the community.

After this bold step and the result, I took another bold step after gotten advice from those who followed up on the story across the country.
That singular step is what has been driving me till this moment.

Discover a problem and find a solution to it.


Goodness Dickson
Eco Clean Active Initiative

No comments:

Post a Comment

FOUNDATION OF ECO CLEAN

 ECO CLEAN MOVEMENT After the bold step taken about the heap of waste in Yola, Adamawa State which was cleared, I was advice by environmenta...